To get the most out of your oil heat system, check out these tips on how to keep it running safely and efficiently.
- Keep the area around your system as clean and clutter free as possible. Never store anything flammable near your system!
- Keep registers, baseboards and radiators clean and unobstructed to ensure maximum airflow.
- If you have a steam boiler, check the water gauge periodically. Low water levels are a leading cause for shutdowns. Steam boilers should also be “flushed” when the water in the gauge looks rusty.
- If you have an oil furnace, change or clean the filter on a regular basis during the heating season. Dust, dirt, pet hair and other debris all get trapped by your filter. A dirty filter compromises efficiency and can even result in a shutdown.
- Never set your thermostat below 60 degrees. When your thermostat setting is too low, you risk frozen pipes. Water pipes near outside walls or in unheated spaces are especially prone to freeze-ups.