Please keep these safety tips in mind — they are especially important if you use portable space heaters and fireplaces during the winter.
- Turn off portable space heaters when you leave the room.
- Always use a screen with wood fireplaces, and be sure ashes are completely cooled before removing them from the hearth.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned every year.
- Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are functioning.
- Keep any combustible materials away from heating sources, including boilers, furnaces, fireplaces and space heaters.
- Never use gasoline or lighter fluid in any indoor fireplace.
- Have a licensed technician check your gas hearth annually.